Monarch Butterflies part 2 & Tamarack Beach
this one of our fave butterfly books.
this very cute & informative story is all about going to the butterfly conservatory (even the same rules we were given). it even has 3 sisters in it. we found it funny that one of the girls on the trip actually had a butterfly land on her finger & wouldnt leave just like in the story.
the conservatory ed room.
we learned tons of interesting facts:
- boy Monarchs only, have one black dot on each bottom wing
- butterflies only make chrysalis not cocoons
- Monarchs live @ 8 months, most other butterflies only live @ 1 month
- butterflies eat thru a straw like tounge called a proboscis
- butterflies like salty & sweet things
in the butterfly vivarium there were many different types of host plants. it was helpful to see them all in person & get more ideas to add to my own butterfly garden.
this is the list on their website.
after the beautiful butterflies...the beautiful beach.
we thru together a quick lunch: left over fried chicken, carrot sticks, strawberries & some waters & enjoyed the afternoon at Tamarack Beach in Carlsbad.
pretty perfect day.